Archives for Secondary Schools (North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre)
Did you know that it is free to search the archives of North Lanarkshire? For pupils studying National 4 and above, the archive provides access to primary documents from the 17th century to more recent times.
The collections include:
- The records of the previous administrations in North Lanarkshire (old burghs, parishes, counties, districts and regions), including poor law, school, building and burial records
- Estate papers, including Hamilton of Dalzell, Drumpellier and Cumbernauld
- Business collections include William Baird & Co, at one time the largest ironworks in Scotland; Anderson Boyes & Co Ltd, producers of mining equipment; and Thomas Hudson & Co Ltd, manufacturers of boilers and structural ironworks
- Records of societies and clubs reflecting the wide range of political, cultural, social and leisure activities carried out by local people, e.g. Airdrie Weavers’ Society
- Papers of private individuals and families
- Large photographic collections covering the entire area of North Lanarkshire
- An extensive map collection
- The records of the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (Cumbernauld New Town)
Booking essential. Please call 01698 524712 to arrange a free introductory visit. If you have particular interest, please let the archives team know when you book.