Archives for Secondary Schools
(North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre)
High Road Motherwell ML1 3HU
Did you know that it is free to search the archives of North Lanarkshire? For pupils studying National 4 and above, the archive provides access to primary documents from the seventeenth century to more recent times.
The collections include:
- The records of the previous administrations in North Lanarkshire (old burghs, parishes, counties, districts and regions), including poor law, school, building and burial records.
- Business collections include William Baird & Co, at one time the largest ironworks in Scotland; Anderson Boyes & Co Ltd, producers of mining equipment; and Thomas Hudson & Co Ltd, manufacturers of boilers and structural ironworks.
- Records of societies and clubsreflecting the wide range of political, cultural, social and leisure activities carried out by local people, e.g. Airdrie Weavers’ Society.
- Large photographic collections covering the entire area of North Lanarkshire.
- An extensive map collection.
Booking essential. Please call 01698 524712 to arrange a free introductory visit. If you have particular interest, please let the archives team know when you book.