We hold over 200 collections. These include the following records:
- Council minutes of former burghs, wards and district councils
- Historical records of the Cumbernauld Development Corporation
- Cemetery records
- Poor law records
- School records
- Building warrant plans
- Estate papers, including Hamilton of Dalzell, Drumpellier and Cumbernauld
- Business collections include William Baird & Co, at one time the largest ironworks in Scotland; Anderson Boyes & Co Ltd, producers of mining equipment; and Thomas Hudson & Co Ltd, manufacturers of boilers and structural ironworks
- Records of societies and clubs reflecting the wide range of political, cultural, social and leisure activities carried out by local people
- Papers of private individuals and families
- Large photographic collections covering the entire area of North Lanarkshire
- An extensive map collection
Information about our resources can also be accessed at the Scottish Archive Network website link at the right of this page. Free access to the website is available in the search room.
Please visit the Scottish Archives Network catalogue for more details for most of our collections. Use the code GB1778 in the Archive Reference search window.
Most popular collections:
- North Lanarkshire Cemetery records –call for details
- Poor law records of the following parishes – Bothwell, Cambusnethan, Dalziel, New Monkland and Shotts
- Limited Poor Law records exist for Kilsyth and Old Monkland –call for details
- The records of the Cumbernauld Development Corporation (Cumbernauld New Town)-call for details
For our current list of fully catalogued collections click here.