Research your local and family history of the towns and villages around Motherwell, Wishaw, Bellshill and Shotts
Information on all aspects of the social and industrial history of the towns and villages around Motherwell, Wishaw, Shotts and Bellshill (Old Motherwell District) are held in the Local Studies Room in North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre.
A small self-service research room serving the Shotts area is also available at Shotts Heritage Centre, situated within Shotts Library.
Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Saturday 9.30-16.30, Wednesdays 10.30-16.30
How can we help with your enquiries?
Our knowledgeable staff can assist with a broad range of local history enquiries:
- Are you interested in the history and origins of your town and its buildings and monuments?
- Are you looking for information on the coal, steel or iron works or any other local industry?
- Tracing a family tree?
- Trying to locate a house or shop?
- Looking for a photograph of your street or school?
- Looking for a newspaper article on a local event?
- Researching a student project
Whatever your query on the local area, our staff are on hand to help you find the answers you need.
Use of the Local History Collection is free of charge to visitors.
No appointment is necessary for use of the Local History Collection.
Free advice on compiling a family tree or creating a more in-depth family history for visitors to the Centre.
If you need more information, use the links and/or details on the right-hand side of this page.